Sunday, November 10, 2013

A Taste of My Nergeekiness - I Like Star Trek, Love Firefly

My father is a Trekkie, hence I am ish, a Trekkie by default.  At a very young age, I often sat with my dad and watched Captain Kirk and his crew aboard the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701).  I would hear the opening theme song from the other room and my dad would say along with Captain Kirk 'Space...the final frontier...' - if you're reading this, you know what I'm talking about.  I would sing along - you know, when that woman's voice would sing the 'aaahh ahhh ahhh ahhh ahhhh ahhhh'.  Yes, laugh.  It is funny, but this memory conjurs such warm, fuzzy, nostalgic feelings.  Happy thoughts.  I boldly think of Star Trek to bring me to my happy place.  More specifically, my all-time fave original Star Trek episode? 'The Trouble with Tribbles'  I wanted one.


  

I also enjoyed watching with dad Star Trek TNG and Star Trek Voyager.  Voyager was probably my most favorite of any of the series.  Why?  Well, for one, a woman Captain.  Captain Kathryn Janeway.  She was somewhat of a paragon to me.  I was fascinated by her leadership and subtle motherly-ish traits.  I didn't want to be like her, I admired her and wanted to work for someone like her - I was a young adult during the time of watching Voyager.  The character I associated myself with was B'Elanna Torres.  Laugh, but she was a badass!  Half-Klingon, half-human?  Come on, that's pure awesomeness.  And her beau, Tom Paris...kinda thought he was a cutie, he's on my hottie list.  In searching for a fighting clip of B'Elanna, I found a mushy clip that I initially posted (11/10/13 - music was Rascal Flatts) but as of 12/10/13, it is no longer available as the YouTube account owner closed their account.  Boo. So, plopped this one in instead.






Although I enjoy Star Trek, I stumbled across another Sci-Fi series in 2011 on Netflix.  The series originally aired in 2002; almost a decade later I discovered and fell in love with it - 'Firefly'.  Joss Whedon @josswhedon really is the man.  (Despite the very recent Equality Now speaking engagement, a supposed 'omg, no he didn't' apparently occurred about something he said.  I have no opinion on this.  I like Joss Whedon for his mind, his brilliance and contribution to my entertainment pleasure.)  I'm bummed it's not on Netflix anymore, but I do plan on getting the series so I can view at my leisure.

Firefly.  It's a space western drama set in the year 2517.  What I liked about it initially?  Nathan Fillion @NathanFillion Yes, he is on my hottie list. (There's an episode he's completely naked at the end...fave...haha!)  Seriously though, I first thought, a western-ish space series?  That could be cool.  It was.  Very.  So sad it had a short run...



I'm not going to review the series, only tell you I loved it and it's one of my favorite series.  And just so you know...only a couple of people knew about my love for this series.  I've publicly now confirmed and embraced the nergeek in me.  (Even nergeeks have a sexual side to them...another Erotica Snippet in the works by the way...)

No comments:

Post a Comment